The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Parallels anyone?

Go down 
+3
melanie
flying free fee
Rebel Angel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:00 pm

So like I was thinking, (and mentioning it in the question onf the day re sparked it). Couldnt you compare A Little Princess to the GTB series? (not like exactly of coarse, but there are similarities)
ex:
~Both loose their mothers in india and are sent to boarding schools in England their mothers attended
~Both fathers become ill (Gemma's = the drugsssss, Saras=some asian desiease)
~Both are wealthy
~Both cause much talk when the start the school
~ While Gemma has the magic of the realms, Sara has the magic of her stories, and the magic of the indian gentleman
~they both have some encounter with poor adolesents of London (Gemma=the factory girls. Sara=the begger child in front of the bakery)
~Ann is both like Becky and Ermangarde (maybe more like Ermangarde since they both have littlec confidence about themselves and need constant reassurance, but Becky is poor and taunted because of it and doesn't defend herself.)
~Cecily can be compared to Jessie, the second in command at the beginning
~Felicity can be compared to Lavinia, the most popular pupil pre Gemma/Sara.
~Pippa can be compared to Lottie, both spoiled all their lives so that reality hits, they only breakdown.

Is that it? Well that's all I can think of for now. So any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 2:05 pm

I haven't read that book in like forever, but I remember thinking of it when I read TGT. Especially the India to British boarding school thing.
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

Location : At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss." It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You can not read Loss, only feel it.

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 pm

I've never read it, ever.. but now I'm tempted to.. XD
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:24 pm

It's really good, even if it's aimed at children, I think anyone can read it and love it.
Back to top Go down
lunarox142
Binding the Magic
lunarox142

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 pm

I've never did read the book, but I saw the movie when I was little, so i only sorta remember it, but i do think I was subconciously thinking about it when I read AGATB
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I think certain ideas may have been borrowed, but I don't think the stories themselves are anything alike.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:54 pm

The ideas were obviously different... They just took place during similar time periods, when England had conquered India.

I honestly don't think Sara and her friends (or lack of) entered a magical world and were on the hitlist of a very secretive and power hungry group of men.
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Well yes, I'm just naming a few similaries lol. Sarah's world was totally realistic, but she did believe in magic. Like the attic was was like the realms. It would become whatever she willed it to be (figuritivly speaking of coarse, it was always the same dingy attic).It was the bastille, a royal dining hall, a castle. If she wanted to be a princess she would become one.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 4:37 pm

I LOVE that book. The movie's awesome too. Every time I watch it Minchin reminds me of Nightwing. Very Happy I don't think anything from ALP was purposely used in AGATB, but those are some interesting similarities. I think it's mostly just coincidence. I'm really glad you brought this up; I've been wanting to mention the Minchin/Nightwing parallel, but wasn't sure where to do it.
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Michin and Nightwing? I see Minchin more like Spence, and Amelia more like Nightwing. but good add Smile
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 pm

I think of Amelia more like LeFarge, since she's less imposing then Minchin, but that's interesting that you compare Minchin to Spence itself; I never thought of that.
Back to top Go down
For They Must Have Hope
In India
For They Must Have Hope

Location : On the couch trying to call up the majic and make the realms appear

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 8:13 am

I think that A Little Princess is one of those books that Ann was talking about in the beginning. With the girl who is so kind and blah blah blah blah etc. It reminds me of who Ann wishes she could be I suppose
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Parallels anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallels anyone?   Parallels anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parallels anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Order :: Spence :: Discussion-
Jump to: