The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quotes! version 2.0

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

Location : At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss." It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You can not read Loss, only feel it.

Quotes! version 2.0 Empty
PostSubject: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:24 pm

So I just finished a book, Looking For Alaska, and wanted to share some quotes from it because it's FREAKIN AMAZING and I highly recommend reading it.

(How will I ever get out of this labyrinth?)

"So what's the labyrinth?" I asked her.

"That's the mystery, isn't it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world or the end of it?"

I still think that - sometimes, think that maybe "the afterlife" is just something we made up to ease the pain of suffering, to make our time in the labyrinth bearable.

Thomas Edison's last words were: "It's very beautiful over there." I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere - and I hope it's beautiful.

But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that is people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane.

"Jesus, I’m not going to be one of those people who sits around talking about what they’re gonna do. I’m just going to do it. Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia. ... You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present."

feel free to post any of your favorite quotes! =D
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 3:11 pm

These are from one of my favriote books, A Northern Light:

"Break a promise to the dead and they'll haunt you, Ada says.
Keep the promise and they'll haunt you just the same."

"Why do writers make things sugary when life isn't that way? Why don't they tell the truth?"

"You can't argue with the dead. No matter what you say, they get the last word."
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

Location : At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss." It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You can not read Loss, only feel it.

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 am

Rebel Angel wrote:
"You can't argue with the dead. No matter what you say, they get the last word."

I like that.
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm not adding anything, but I've read Looking for Alaska too, Mel. It's such a sad but inspirational book. I cried, even though I'd been spoiled on the life-changing-event that happens around the middle. I'd like to read it again but I lent it out to my 7th grade guy friend. Middle-schoolers... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 4:20 am

Yeah, I was pretty sure about what would happen part way in to the book, and then after it happened I was pretty sure why as soon as she was doodling the flowers. Regardless, I loved it =]
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Hey Mel, have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrkxIpc9HMk

A friend was singing the song in math class and I got the chorus stuck in my head... They use quotes from the book as lyrics and the one in your sig is the chorus.
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 2:10 pm

that's pretty awesome!

thanks for sharing =]

and some more quotes:

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - Norman Vincent Peale

If my muscles hurt, it just means I've used them. If it hurts to walk up the stairs, it's just 'cause I've done it 100 times to lay down next to a man who loved me. My face may have wrinkles, but I have laid under hundreds of skies on sunny days. I look like this, well, because I drank and I smoked and I lived and I loved and I screwed my way through a pretty damn good life. Getting old isn't bad - it's earned. - Maggic McGlone in "The Guardian"

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AND SOME FUNNIER ONES! courtesy of "Psych." XD

"Oh, you mean my pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border. I could give you the details, but then I'd have to kill you.. which I can't do, because my license to kill has been revoked. - Shawn Spencer

Shawn: PULL OVER! Good morning, detectives, collecting donations for the policeman's ball?
Lassiter: We don't have balls.
Shawn: Honestly I have no response to that.

=]

sorry some of them are pretty long. I love quotes, though.. idk, anyone who read "Looking For Alaska" could relate it to his thing with people's last words.. lol
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Who wrote "Looking for Alaska"? You both have made it sound really good. I looked it up on Amazon, and there were two different books by two different authors: John Green and Peter Jenkins.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Leave it to you guys to give me good ideas for books, honestly. I've gotten so many ideas from this site...
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:49 pm

John Green.

Read it, now, GO!

XD

I bought it at Books A Million for $3.

and it was the best $3 I ever spent =P
Back to top Go down
ScarlettOhara
Going to Spence
ScarlettOhara

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:54 pm

^^ Amen to that!
I now have a fetish wiith last words... did you know Marie Antoinette's were "Excuse me, monseiur." as she was walking to the guillitine, she accidentally stepped on the executioner's foot.

Peter Abelard's were "I don't know." Just the fact that he was one of the greatest thinkers... i dont know, i thought that was cool.
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 4:10 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to start looking up last words.. I think they're so interesting! I love quotes of all kinds, though. I have a notebook and whenever I'm reading a book that I like something from, or a song, TV, or just searching the internet.. I write it down.

one of my favorites is from "Tomorrow, When the War Began" by John Marsden:

Recording what we've done, in words, on paper; it's got to be our way of telling ourselves that we mean something, that we matter. That the things we've done have made a difference. I don't know how big a difference, but a difference. Writing it down means we might be remembered. And, by God, that matters to us. None of us wants to end up as a pile of dead, white bones; unnoticed, unknown, and worst of all: with no one knowing or appreciating the risks we've run.

idk, maybe it's stupid but I feel like I'm supposed do something with my life, big or small, so that when I get old or I die, I'm remembered by at least someone.. I guess I just want to make an impression on people and feel like I mean something, y'know.. not be famous or anything.. even if it's just me being remembered for being a nice person or something.. lol idk if that makes any sense! XD
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:59 pm

ScarlettOhara wrote:
^^ Amen to that!
I now have a fetish wiith last words... did you know Marie Antoinette's were "Excuse me, monseiur." as she was walking to the guillitine, she accidentally stepped on the executioner's foot.

Is it awful that that just made me laugh? XD

Maybe we could make a new thread just for famous (or nonfamous) people's last words... I think it would be really cool!
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:58 pm

ditto!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quotes! version 2.0   Quotes! version 2.0 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quotes! version 2.0
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Order :: Spence-
Jump to: