The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How likely is it?

Go down 
+8
Lady of Shalott
lunarox142
melanie
great&terriblebeauty
flying free fee
Opaltear
Lady Hope
anna isilee
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

How likely is it that Gemma and Kartik will get together?
Yes, very likely.
How likely is it? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap77%How likely is it? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 77% [ 10 ]
No, the chances are very slim.
How likely is it? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap15%How likely is it? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
I have no idea.
How likely is it? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%How likely is it? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
ScarlettOhara
Going to Spence
ScarlettOhara

How likely is it? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How likely is it?   How likely is it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 pm

YEah we are studying that too, and ohmygosh I know! But I just realized the whole berries thing, how interesting.

She also used a lot of the creatures... the gorgon, sirens, centaurs. And Circe is the name of a witch in Greek mythology. (She turned men into pigs.)
JK Rowling also did that a lot. Cerberus, the three headed dog who guards the Underworld she changed to Fluffy, who guards that door thing in the Sorcerer's Stone book. And all the spells are Latin words Smile
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: How likely is it?   How likely is it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm re-reading it, and in the part where they're all drunk and are trying to name the club, they use:

Preistesses of Persephone
Daughters of Athena

It's not just Greek stuff Libba loves, it's all sorts - Norse, Roman. They find primative cave drawings of all sorts of creatures, Miss Moore even tells them some of the stories.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

PostSubject: Re: How likely is it?   How likely is it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:02 pm

flying free fee wrote:
She kind of reminds me of Satan in Paradise Lost. After having it mentioned in so many books (I think she even related it to something in RA), I finally went out and bought it and I can't help but feel like maybe rebellion is not so awful.
Wow, I can't believe I just said goody-two-shoes... Embarassed

Did you enjoy it? I've been thinking about reading it for a while, but I'm not sure if I'd like it. In one of my favorite books, the main character actually says that reading Paradise Lost had to be more torture than the fires Milton wrote about. Laughing ANy way, I never knew what to think of Circe. I really admired her when I only knew her as Ms. Moore, but then when I found out she was the same person who thought it was alright to murder a little girl... Of course, I think she partly redeemed herself in TSFT. Circe is just a complicated charcter, and I'm sure Libba Bray was trying to give her readers mixed feelings avout her.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: How likely is it?   How likely is it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 pm

There are a lot of parallels with Greek mythology. Also, the forest folk in the realms would enchant humans and bring them back to the realms, just like the Greek gods played with humans. The realms are also kind of like Mt. Olympus where all the gods live in Greek mythology.
Back to top Go down
For They Must Have Hope
In India
For They Must Have Hope

Location : On the couch trying to call up the majic and make the realms appear

PostSubject: Re: How likely is it?   How likely is it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:37 am

I hate how Kartik dies in a stupid tree=(. Well actually the end was very well written. But I still love kartik=(. I think that everyone cried when they read the book though. I know I did several times. I like how she leaves a bit to the imagination though. Like how in the end she left the dreams part to be taken as it will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How likely is it?   How likely is it? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How likely is it?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Order :: Spence :: Discussion-
Jump to: