The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????

Go down 
+7
ScarlettOhara
Lady of Shalott
LandOfDreams
melanie
Most High
flying free fee
blue_panda_41295
11 posters
AuthorMessage
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Empty
PostSubject: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:54 pm

I want to know what some of your quotes from the books are! Here are but a few of mine:
"People have a habit of inventing fictions they will believe wholeheartedly in order to ignore the truth they cannot accept."

"But aren't many gardens beautiful because they are imperfect? ...Aren't the strange, new flowers that arise by mistake or misadventure as pleasing as the well-tended and planned?"

"Because you don't notice the light without a bit of shadow. Everything has both dark and light. You have to play with it till you get it exactly right."

"What if evil doesn't really exist? What if evil is something dreamed up by man, and there is nothing to struggle against except out own limitations? The constant battle between our will, our desires, and our choices?"

"And that is how change happens. One gesture. One person. One moment at a time."

"You must remember, my dear lady, the most important rule of any successful illusion: First, the people must want to believe in it."

What are yours?
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 1:13 pm

This is my entire AIM profile, I'm not even kidding:
I had thought her dangerous a moment ago, when she felt powerful. I was wrong. Wounded and powerless, she is more dangerous than I could ever imagine.
And what if evil doesn't really exist? What if evil is something dreamed up by man, and there is nothing to struggle against except our own limitations? The constant battle between our will, our desires, and our choices?
I run after her, not really giving chase. I’m running because I can, because I must.

They see her differently now,
as somebody. And isn’t that what everyone wants? To be seen?
But aren't many gardens beautiful because they are imperfect? Aren't the strange, new flowers that arise by mistake or misadventure as pleasing as the well-tended and planned?
And for a moment, I understand that I have friends on this lonely path;
that sometimes your place is not something you find, but something you have when you need it.
But we can't go back. We can only go forward.

"You must remember, my dear lady, the most important rule of any successful illusion:
First
, the people must want to believe in it."
Back to top Go down
Most High
In India
Most High

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 7:12 pm

"i love you. Your are beautiful. Never leave me." -Gemma, TSFT

omg that quote chokes me up!
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Wow, I don't remember that. haha
Back to top Go down
Most High
In India
Most High

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 10:05 am

its the part when gemma and karik are in the cave of sighs. they put their hands on the symbol of love on the wall and they start "dreaming". gemma says it in the dream to kartik. its sooo cute!!
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 11:00 pm

OH! I get it now.. haha I'll have to find it
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

Location : At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss." It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You can not read Loss, only feel it.

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 3:53 pm

hey ladies =]

I'd appreciate it greatly if you guys would keep this topic up, I'm going to start adding quotes under the book quotes section on the website soon and I need your help =]

<3
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Sure thing! We'll try to keep it up Wink
Back to top Go down
LandOfDreams
Getting Back Into the Realms
LandOfDreams

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 10:15 am

"That's what living in their world is--a big lie. An illusion where everyone looks the other way and pretends that nothing unpleasant exists at all, no goblins of the dark, no ghosts of the soul."

And of course:
"I'm running because I can, because I must. Because I want to see how far I can go before I have to stop."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/2Stubborn2GiveUp
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I think my all-time favorites are, from AGATB:

"I catch sight of a symbol I’ve never noticed before at the very bottom of a cave wall. It’s partially defaced, but some of it is still visible. A woman and a swan. At first glance, it seems as if she’s being attacked by the great white bird, but on closer inspection, it seems as if the woman and the swan are joined together as one. A great mythical creature. A woman prepared to fly, even if she has to lose her legs to do it."

"We understand each other. We share a secret."

"There are no safe choices, Miss Temple. Only different ones."

“What happens if your choice is misguided?” I ask, softly.
Miss Moore takes a pear from the bowl and offers us the grapes to devour. “You must try to correct it.”
“But what if it’s too late? What if you can’t?”
There’s a sad sympathy in Miss Moore’s catlike eyes as she regards my painting again. She paints the smallest sliver of shadow along the bottom of the apple, bringing it fully to life.
“Then you must find a way to live with it.”

Felicity's Story

"They see her differently now, as somebody. And isn’t that what everyone wants? To be seen?"

"This is how the fire starts.
This is how we burn.
Everything is slipping out of my control."

and

“Dans chaque fin, il y a un début.”

For Rebel Angels:

“What if evil doesn’t really exist? What if evil is something dreamed up by man, and there is nothing to struggle against but our own limitations? The constant battle between our will, our desires, and our choices?”

“Do you think they missed him terribly when he fell? Did God cry over his lost angel, I wonder?”

“You know nothing, Miss Doyle. You only think you do, and therein lies the problem.”

"She will not read her book until this evening, and somehow I know this is what she wants—to be needed. It is her charge.
It is her place. She has found it. Or it has found her."

and

“In books, the truth makes everything good and fine. The good prevail. The wicked are punished. There is happiness. But it’s not like that really, is it?”
“No,” I say. “I suppose it only makes everything known.”
We lean our heads back against the tree and look up at the puffy, white clouds.
“Why bother with it at all then?” Ann says.
“Because you can’t keep up the illusion forever,” I say. “No one has that much magic.”
For a long while, we sit, saying nothing. No one attempts to hold hands or tell a merry joke, to talk of what has happened or what is to come. We simply sit, our backs to the tree, our shoulders grazing on another. It is the lightest of touches and yet it’s enough to weight me to the earth.
And for a moment, I understand that I have friends on this lonely path, that sometimes your place is not something you find, but something you have when you need it.

For TSFT:

Her eyes shine. “Am I beautiful?”
“You are the most beautiful girl of all,” I say and it is the truth.

"They’ve never owned such finery before, and it does not matter that it is borrowed by magic; they believe, and the believing changes everything. We’ve the right to dream, and that, I suppose, it the magic’s greatest power: the notion that we can pick possibility from the trees like ripe fruit. We are filled with hope. Alive with transformation. We can become."

"We sit and listen and are enthralled anew, for good stories, it seems, never lose their magic."

"The child nods and takes Felicity’s hand, and they head up the path together, greeting people with defiant faces and fresh wounds. "

“The rules of magic, my dear, are best not discussed. For once we understand the illusion, we no longer believe in it.”

The chaos vs. order conversation between Gemma and Miss McCleethy,

"It is funny that she should be afraid of the dark when she cannot see it, but I suppose that is the sort of fear one feels deep in the soul."

"And I see now that she might have made a good magician as well as an actress, for she knows how to make herself disappear."

"Then she’ll have ale. It isn’t the pound that matters; it’s the hope.”

“In truth, it is the simplest act in the world. The trick works because you wish it to. You must remember, my dear lady, the most important rule of any successful illusion: First, the people must want to believe in it.”

"Adventure and death!” we cry. The romantic girl pouts but there it is. Death is infinitely more thrilling.

"It’s no matter that the dresses are only a night’s borrowed finery. They believe, and that belief changes everything."

“This is the world we live in, Gemma, for better or for worse. Make of it what you can.”

"Blood is thicker than water. That’s what they say. But in truth, most things are."

"I’ve taken away her god, and she could kill me for it."

"They’ve made her uncertain, and that’s how it’s done; that’s how we come to doubt what we know to be true."

"There is an ancient tribal proverb I once heard in India. It says that before we can see properly we must first shed our tears to clear the way. "

"To those who will see, the world waits. "

Probably the reason I have so many more is because I spent hours typing them, but there they are. =)
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 pm

GOSH! And you have them in the other post, too... You dazzle me. Smile
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm

blue_panda_41295 wrote:
GOSH! And you have them in the other post, too... You dazzle me. Smile

The beauty of copy+paste, my friend. Wink Works wonders. I love you
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Ah! I thought maybe that's what you did, but of course, I know plenty of people who can't do that...
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 pm

"He is attracted to the scent of manure. You might wallow in the stable to bring out the full flower of his love." -Felicity, RA

I'm anosmic/hyposmic, and ironically anything pertaining to the sense of smell is interesting to me.
Back to top Go down
ScarlettOhara
Going to Spence
ScarlettOhara

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Lady of Shalott wrote:
"He is attracted to the scent of manure. You might wallow in the stable to bring out the full flower of his love." -Felicity, RA

I'm anosmic/hyposmic, and ironically anything pertaining to the sense of smell is interesting to me.

You might like Perfume: the Story of a Murderer by David Suskind then. (If you haven't already read it). I personally thought it was WEIRD, but very interesting, just the way everything is described and explained.
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Going to Spence
Shadow

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:33 pm

I don't have my books with me right now, but I'll try my best on my own.

"Aboslute power corrupst absolutely." -- TSFT

"Retalation is a dog chasing it's tail." -- TSFT

Any conversation between Gemma and Kartik.

"We're watching you, Ms. Doyle." -- AG&TB (ooo, Karik is so creepy in this one...)

"Why can't they just say, "Stay away from Ms. Soandso. She'll eat your heart." -- RA (my philosiphy for Ghost Whisperer)

"It's just a little initiation we have here at Spence--we like to torture each other. Beauty, grace, charm my foot. It's a school for sadists with good tea-serving skills.
Click-click. Creak
Felicity's probably no more related to Admiral Worthington than I am.
Click-click. Creak
I don't even want to go to Paris.
Click, creak. Cough." -- AG&TB (It's just so funny what your mind can come up with when your frightened out of you mind.

"'God, it'll be no living with you after this. I'll be too afraid you'll turn me into a toad or a braying @ss or something.'
'Too late. You're already an @ss.'" -- TSFT (tee hee... I love Tom and his naiveness.)
Back to top Go down
RedxLuna
In London
RedxLuna

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:16 am

"There are no safe choices, Miss Temple. Only other choices. There are no safe choices."-AG&TB

"I’ve always been so irritated when Pippa opens her mouth, I haven’t stopped to think she may babble on because she’s afraid she won’t be heard."-AG&TB

"Sometimes by reason is no match for my temper."-AG&TB

"Pain is underrated as a tool of motivation."-AG&TB

"That is how fires start. With a spark. And I see the spark catching the wind."-AG&TB

"We’re all damaged somehow."-AG&TB

"In every end, there’s a beginning."-AG&TB
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:02 am

Haha... I really like Shadow's... "Click, creak, cough. cough? I didn't cough." (I think that's how she said it) I loved that one... haha
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Going to Spence
Shadow

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Haha I know. That's one of my favorite parts in the series.

Oh! I have one more:

"Wot pit of 'ell did he crawl out of?" -- TSFT
Fowlson=luv <3
And to think I wanted him to die in the beginning...
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:23 pm

ScarlettOhara wrote:

You might like Perfume: the Story of a Murderer by David Suskind then. (If you haven't already read it). I personally thought it was WEIRD, but very interesting, just the way everything is described and explained.

I've heard of it, and I'd like to read it/see the movie if I can ever find it.
Back to top Go down
theruiiner

theruiiner

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Everything that has been listed is a fabulous quote. The one that really touched me the most the first time I read it was the following:

"I don’t know why I feel so wounded by Kartik’s obvious
infatuation with Pippa. There’s no romance between us. There’s nothing that
tethers us but this dark secret neither of us wants. It’s not Kartik’s longing
that hurts. It’s my own. It’s knowing that I’ll never have what she has – a beauty
so powerful it brings things to you
. I fear I will always have to chase the
things I want. I’ll always have to wonder whether I’m truly wanted or whether I’ve
just been settled for."
Back to top Go down
ScarlettOhara
Going to Spence
ScarlettOhara

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Shadow wrote:
Haha I know. That's one of my favorite parts in the series.

Oh! I have one more:

"Wot pit of 'ell did he crawl out of?" -- TSFT
Fowlson=luv <3
And to think I wanted him to die in the beginning...

hahaha! i forgot about that one! literally laughed out loud when I read it!
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 8:49 pm

"She doesn't say it bitterly, that's what hurts. She's accepted her fate without fighting it" - AGATB

I just read that today, but I HONESTLY think it's in TSFT too, when Pippa tries to cross the river and can't. I looked for that, but found one of my two favorite parts instead. Smile

Gemma - "It's Achilles"
Fowlson - "Wot?"
Gemma - "It's Achilles heel, not Achin' heal you bloody stupid fool!"
Fowlson - "That's a pretty mouf you got there luv."
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 pm

I've found my possible FAVORITE quote from any of the books in Rebel Angels:

[referring to the painting of the Rebel Angels and Lucifer]

"Do you think they missed him terribly when he fell? Did God cry over his lost angel?" - Felicity

To me that just stuck out for some reason.
Back to top Go down
For They Must Have Hope
In India
For They Must Have Hope

Location : On the couch trying to call up the majic and make the realms appear

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 5:55 am

I have two favorites.

"Shall I tell you a story? A new and terrible one? A ghost story? Are you ready? Shall I begin? Once upon a time there were four girls. One was pretty. One was clever. One charming, and one...one was mysterious. But they were all damaged, you see. Something not right about the lot of them. Bad blood. Big dreams. Oh, I left that part out. Sorry, that should have come before. They were all dreamers, these girls. One by one, night after night, the girls came together. And they sinned. Do you know what that sin was? No one? Pippa? Ann? Their sin was that they believed. Believed they could be different. Special. They believed they could change what they were--damaged, unloved. Cast-off things. They would be alive, adored, needed. Necessary. But it wasn't true. This is a ghost story remember? A tragedy. They were misled. Betrayed by their own stupid hopes. Things couldn't be different for them, because they weren't special after all. So life took them, led them, and they went along, you see? They faded before their own eyes, till they were nothing more than living ghosts, haunting each other with what could be. With what can't be. There, now. Isn't that the scariest story you've ever heard?"

and

"They've planned our entire lives, from what we shall wear to whom we shall marry and where we shall live. It's one lump of sugar in your tea whether you like it or not and you'd best smile even if you're dying deep inside. We're like pretty horses, and just as on horses, they mean to put blinders on us so we can't look left or right but only straight ahead where they would lead."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????   What are some of your favorite quotes from the books???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are some of your favorite quotes from the books????
Page 1 of 1