The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight

Go down 
+7
ScarlettOhara
RedxLuna
Rebel Angel
blue_panda_41295
Felicity Worthington
flying free fee
Lady of Shalott
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Empty
PostSubject: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 4:53 pm

I know that it's in France and Germany, and probably Canada and the UK. The French version translates to "The Witches of Spence," and in German the series is called "The Secret Circle." Does anyone know what the books are like in other countries? I know that with Harry Potter there's differences between the Brittish and American versions, even though they're both in English. Has anyone here actually read translations of the books?
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 8:47 pm

I know that The Sweet Far Thing translates to Kartik's Fate in Germany.

Way to not spoil the book, right? tongue
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Kartik's Fate completely gives it away, but I wonder if the books are as popular in other countries as they are here.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm

I don't think they're actually very popular even HERE... because I know only one other person in real life who's read them. (It was because of me) I don't see why they can't translate it exactly, to keep it Gemma Doyle. On some Youtube video about Pippa, there was some girl who was Swiss or Sweedish or something, she said in HER book it was Penelope and not Pippa.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 8:33 pm

That's interesting. I never thought of the names getting changed. You're right though, the books aren't THAT popular. Maybe we should replace every Twilight book with AGATB!
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 pm

I don't think they're even that populare in America. I mean, I'm the only one out of anyone I know who's read them.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 4:18 pm

We so should replace Twilight with AGATB! Although, I don't like the whole fangirly-ness, so I'd probably abandon the books and find a new love.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm still deciding between Twilight and AGATB. I mean, AGATB has just plain a better book, but Twilight has...I don't know, it's just close in my opinion. We should replace every philosophy book with AGATB! THat'd be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:51 pm

But I LOVED Sophie's World! *gags*

Sorry everyone, inside joke between me and Felicity. Any way, I read Twilight before 98% of the teenage girls of America started too, and I thought it was a pretty good book. I think romance books are great, but AGATB has the potential to really make you think.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 9:18 am

Ya, it really does make you think. Almost everything Libba writes sounds beautiful, even if it's just a flower or a room. There's a lot of really deep thinking, though. It really makes you question some things.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:48 pm

AGATB does make you think. Sometimes, I had to think things through before I got why Gemma did this of McCleethy did that. But Sophie's World is a philosophy book Lady Of Shalott and I had to read for English last year. It's about this 15 year old Norwegian girl and how this mysterious man teaches her about philosophy. It's like a textbook without pictures.
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:36 pm

We were playing scattergory in English last Friday and we had to think of an author's name that started with an L. Imagine my surprise when I had to cross out Libba Bray because five other girls in the class had it too. This one girl was overly obsessed and kept trying to get us to agree with her that Kartik dying was sadder than any other book we'd ever read. It wasn't but we were all just like oh definately just to get her to leave us alone.

Who knew there were Gemma Doyle fangirls out there???
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 pm

At least there aren't any Gemma Doyle fangirls HERE.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:31 pm

I don't think there are any Gemma Doyle fans here besides me and my friends. Everyone else is still stuck on Twlight.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 pm

I bet once people start to hear about the movie it will be just like Twilight: everyone will start readin the books just so they can jump on the band wagon.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm

I hope that's what happens. My friends and I have been trying to get as many people in our school to read them, but most of our school is still in love with Twilight.
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 2:53 pm

Well usually that's what movies do. Rolling Eyes

But I sort of think that Gemma Doyle is a lot more... Intellectual than Twilight.

Anyone can read Twilight and it's not written at a very high reading level, but A Great and Terrible Beauty is set in a completely different era and the characters and plotlines are much more intricately written, in my opinion.

I feel like most people just read/are reading Twilight because of Edward Cullen. Sex sells. Friendship and courage and tragedy and love and growing up and choices... Not so much. You have to wait for it a little before you get swept all inside the story because it's not as blunt and to the point as some other books.

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 4:14 pm

Most people do read Twilight because of Edward Cullen. That's the main reason I read it, just to make sure Bella didn't choose Jacob. I know some elementary kids that have read Twilight and said that it was an easy read. Once, one of my friends was showing AGATB to another friend, and the person goes,"It looks inappropriate." My friend said, "Why?" The other person goes, "Because there's a picture of a girl in just a corset on the cover."
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 1:44 pm

...what? seriously?! That other person is a tad bit, oh god whats the word? stuffy? prudish? I don't know, nevermind.
I don't think AGATB is that difficult of a read. It's just that cute teen love stories (or any teen novel in general) are easiler when it comes to convincing people to read it. By AGATB having an almost Harry Potter-esque magic material, people assume it's for children or nerdy adults.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 3:51 pm

AGATB is more intellectual than Twilight... People read Twilight for Edward or Jacob, and for that reason only. Bella is really just a hollowed shell that most girls can fit into. Plenty of people fall, plenty of people think they don't fit in... I really am nothing like her, but because of how badly she's lacking in a personality, I fit right in and could picture myself doing what she did.

Gemma, on the other hand, I'm nothing like her, and I can actually see that. I didn't see myself very well from her perspective because she thinks and acts differently than I would've.
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 pm

blue_panda_41295 wrote:

Gemma, on the other hand, I'm nothing like her, and I can actually see that. I didn't see myself very well from her perspective because she thinks and acts differently than I would've.

Same here. I can't help but resent her a little bit even, because she reminds me a lot of one of my friends (might be a wee bit jealous of said friend cyclops). I guess in real life I'm more of a Pippa personality and that sort of influenced my opinion on everyone.

Also, in certain stories -- Twilight for example -- you lust after the male love interest and are forever wishing to have one of your own. (Personally I find Edward a little gay and dreadfully dull but the majority of the female population would most likely burn me at the stake for saying such things in public)
I like stories where you want the characters to get together.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 10:44 am

Exactly right, Fee. I think everyone who likes Twilight is secretly jealous of Bella for ending up with Edward. lol!
As for my AGATB character personality, I don't think I'm anything like Gemma. I mostly a Felicity, but I can be silly like Pippa. I'm not an emo like Ann sometimes is. No offense to Ann meant.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:26 am

Felicity, you're one to talk. Look at what you put for your location! lol! It's ok, though, I think it's funny. Very Happy By the way, you'll have to tell me who said AGATB looked inapropriate. Anyway, I think AGATB is much more intellectual than Twilight. Not that I think Twilight is a terrible book; it actually has a good storyline, it's just that the characters aren't very well developed. And, AGATB has themes like feminism and learning to make your own choices that force you to think critically.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Yes, I love Edward! That's a prime example of Twilight obsession. At least I admit that he's the only reason I read the books. Some people have their rooms plastered with pictures of Edward and Edward on their desktop and then go, "I'm not obsessed!" Kind of self-contradictory. Question

But anyway, I also noticed that in Twilight, Bella really doesn't have much of a personality. Gemma is independent, strong, and beautiful. Bella is just kind of "I wanna fit in...OMG, he's a vampire...Edward or Jacob...Holy crap, I'm pregnant!" Sleep
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Felicity Worthington wrote:
Yes, I love Edward! That's a prime example of Twilight obsession. At least I admit that he's the only reason I read the books. Some people have their rooms plastered with pictures of Edward and Edward on their desktop and then go, "I'm not obsessed!" Kind of self-contradictory. Question

But anyway, I also noticed that in Twilight, Bella really doesn't have much of a personality. Gemma is independent, strong, and beautiful. Bella is just kind of "I wanna fit in...OMG, he's a vampire...Edward or Jacob...Holy crap, I'm pregnant!" Sleep

Holy Crow, you mean. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next