The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight

Go down 
+7
ScarlettOhara
RedxLuna
Rebel Angel
blue_panda_41295
Felicity Worthington
flying free fee
Lady of Shalott
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
RedxLuna
In London
RedxLuna

AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Felicity Worthington wrote:
Yes, I love Edward! That's a prime example of Twilight obsession. At least I admit that he's the only reason I read the books. Some people have their rooms plastered with pictures of Edward and Edward on their desktop and then go, "I'm not obsessed!" Kind of self-contradictory. Question

But anyway, I also noticed that in Twilight, Bella really doesn't have much of a personality. Gemma is independent, strong, and beautiful. Bella is just kind of "I wanna fit in...OMG, he's a vampire...Edward or Jacob...Holy crap, I'm pregnant!" Sleep
That's why I had to skip through Breaking Dawn. Bella's attitude just began to grind on my nerves just a little too much.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes, I can be mean sometimes, but Bella is kind of...urgh! I didn't mean it to be mean to Bella, though. That's just the way that people who don't like Bella would see it. Sorry, any Bella fans! silent
You've probably answered this a million times, but do you guys like Edward or Jacob or do you like another guy from Twilight?
Back to top Go down
RedxLuna
In London
RedxLuna

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Well, I do like Edward but more in a friendly sense than a romantical one. He actually really reminds me of the main character from my story The Pianist; they even both play the piano lol.
I feel pretty much the same way about Jacob but I really do love Jasper <3
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:14 pm

A loooong time ago when I liked the books I was a Jacob fan. This was pre-Eclipse, mind you. Then when he turned pedo, that was the last straw pour moi. So... Can I just say Charlie? Razz
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 pm

The books are only fun the first time around and when you want your bf to be cute have him read it too you lol. Other than that I really haven't cracked em open for a while. Oh, you know what really grinds my gears (family guy anyone?) how it's the cult scenester obsession and everyone thinks you like it cause it's "cool"
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Getting Lost in the Realms
Lady of Shalott

Location : Sitting alone in my room trying to make the door of light appear

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 pm

I never watch Family Guy unless I happen to catch a little bit of it while I'm flipping through the channels. Actually, I don't watch much TV (book are better Smile). Back on subject (sort of), I like Jacob better. I know many of you will think I'm crazy. Edward's just too possessive and doesn't have enough flaws to make him seem real.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Back on subject...   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:47 pm

This is deviating from the Twilight/AGATB comparrisions.
AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 419N4X2HYKL._SS500_

That's the cover of the French version, and I love it. I like the darkness and mystique of it. Very Happy Anyone else have an opinion?
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Lady of Shalott wrote:
Back on subject (sort of), I like Jacob better. I know many of you will think I'm crazy. Edward's just too possessive and doesn't have enough flaws to make him seem real.
Yes, Edward's possessive, but he just wants Bella safe (and it's hard for him to smell her blood). He's supposed to be flawless; he's Edward!
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Lady of Shalott wrote:
Back on subject (sort of), I like Jacob better. I know many of you will think I'm crazy. Edward's just too possessive and doesn't have enough flaws to make him seem real.
Yes, Edward's possessive, but he just wants Bella safe (and it's hard for him to smell her blood). He's supposed to be flawless; he's Edward!
Don't you think it would be infuriating to live the rest of your life with someone flawless? You'd constantly be comparing yourself to them! All you'd be think is "I don't deserve him; he's so perfect." Bella makes this point quite often in the books, and it's really annoying. At least Jacob actually has some of the qualities of real teenage boys. He's flawed, and that's waht makes him better than Edward. I'm sure you'll argue against this. Anyway, I'm sure most poeple here would prefer Kartik over either of them. Very Happy I love you
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Edward isn't perfect persay, just compaired to Bella he is. Remember when she became a vampire she was practically flawless herself. It come with the vampireism.
Back to top Go down
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Liquid gold, y'all: http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=twilight&action=display&thread=638

Trust me, she has rebuttals for all of this stuff.

Anyway, I'd never want someone like Edward, for the exact reason that LoS (okay if I call you that?) said. I could never deal with the stress of having someone that perfect. He's fictional and that's strikingly obvious in everything he does.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Rebel Angel wrote:
Edward isn't perfect persay, just compaired to Bella he is. Remember when she became a vampire she was practically flawless herself. It come with the vampireism.
Good point. Bella was all awkward with him when she was human, but they were perfect for each other when she became a vampire. She still felt unsure, but that's just Stephenie Meyer's writing. If the books were from Edward's point of view, she'd make him feel just as unsure.
Back to top Go down
Lady of Shalott
Lady of Shalott

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:43 pm

flying free fee wrote:
He's fictional and that's strikingly obvious in everything he does.

That's one of the main things that annoys me about the books. The perfection of ALL the vampires, not just Edward. Couldn't they have some flaw besides a thirst for human blood?
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 5:54 pm

I think one of the morals of the story is: yeah your beautiful and all but not complete. I mean look at Rosalie and her strong longing for a child. Vampires can have children and will never know that feeling. (well minus E&B, that kinda upset me. Of flippin coarse THEY can defy the odds). They have to leave everyone they've known before behind and watch all their friends die. I mean emotionaly being a vampire kinda sucks.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm

:roll:Every character needs to have a FATAL flaw; an Achilles' heel--as Mr. Fowlson calls it, an "Achin' Heel". Something that ultimately leads to the almost destruction of your character and everything they've worked for. They need to defy the odds at the last minute and surprise you.

They need to be heroic and noble enough to make you respect them, but still need flaws to make them believable.

Last edited by blue_panda_41295 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing a Spelling Error)
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Without fatal flaws, there'd be no surprise ending! Everyone has an Achilles' heel; sometimes, people just hide it so well, nobody can find it.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Ya, everyone except Bella and Edward. Smile If Edward had done ANYTHING to her other than save her... Just once. If HE'D been the one to almost kill her because of her paper cut. If he'd bitten her just ONCE. It'd make the books so much more believable.

I think a lot of the appeal to the books is that it's every girl's fantasy to meet someone handsome, caring, and endlessly and devotedly loving as Edward. I'm guilty of that fantasy, actually. Smile I just don't want someone SO perfect...
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm

But in the movie, Edward almost killed her at the end. That made it more believeable, but all the people who had read the book were like, "What the heck?" It's just an added suspense scene that the movie people thought would make it cooler. That didn't work at all. No
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't think it did... Not really... He did almost kill her, in the book, but more so in the movie. To me, it just seems too predictable that he'd be able to stop.
Back to top Go down
ScarlettOhara
Going to Spence
ScarlettOhara

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 pm

The thing with Twilight, is everything is all "ooh i live you, you're hot, we have no problems HAPPY ENDING, LAlalala." In good books (and in reality) I think there has to be some sacrifice the author puts in, to make you FEEL. and that makes it good. I mean, just take The Gemma Doyle Series (I cried sooo much)! And Harry Potter. Bittersweet endings just make for better stories.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:32 pm

ScarlettOhara wrote:
The thing with Twilight, is everything is all "ooh i live you, you're hot, we have no problems HAPPY ENDING, LAlalala." In good books (and in reality) I think there has to be some sacrifice the author puts in, to make you FEEL. and that makes it good. I mean, just take The Gemma Doyle Series (I cried sooo much)! And Harry Potter. Bittersweet endings just make for better stories.
Bittersweet endings do make books better. Everything would be too predictable without them. I don't like books that kill off the central character, but it's more mature when a book kills of another main character, like with Kartik and all those people who died in Harry Potter.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 6:56 pm

ScarlettOhara wrote:
Bittersweet endings do make books better. Everything would be too predictable without them. I don't like books that kill off the central character, but it's more mature when a book kills of another main character, like with Kartik and all those people who died in Harry Potter.

You all pinned it PERFECTLY. Breaking Dawn was 750 freakin' pages, and not a SINGLE THING HAPPENED. So much building up and suspense to an anticlimatic ending. Same in Eclipse... Victoria coming to find Edward and Bella was so... PREDICTABLE. Not one person got permanently hurt or died in the battle. Most people wouldn't have liked that, but did we like the whole tree situation?!?!?! I don't know about all you, but I really liked Pip, I wasn't happy about her corruption!!

My favorite character in the entire Twilight series is Rosalie--she has enough sense to know that Bella is bad news for the Cullens.
Back to top Go down
Felicity Worthington
At Pippa's Grave
Felicity Worthington

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I neither like nor dislike Rosalie. I mean she acts like a complete witch, but I felt so bad when she told Bella how she became a vampire. I like Emmett and Alice the best. I only like Edward because he's hot! I love you

I didn't like Pip from the start, but I liked Ann, except when she refused to be an actress, and I liked Fee all the books.
Back to top Go down
Rebel Angel
Binding the Magic
Rebel Angel

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

I never really liked anyone in AGTB if that makes sence, I just always felt sorry for them. Like, I would think (as I often do with my books) which character's life I would wanna life as it's written. Usually I'll just pick who had it the easiest, but if you think about it, none of them did. It was one sob story after another (wow it sounds like I hate the series but I really don't I love it lol)
Same with Twilight, all the of Cullen vampire's stories (espically Alice and Rosealie) were a but depressing Sad

Let's due this right now, who would you want to be and why? Gemma, Felicity, Ann, or Pippa.
Back to top Go down
blue_panda_41295
Macbeth
blue_panda_41295

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:52 pm

That's a heck of an interesting question... Hmm....

Pippa, most likely. Just PRE-Realm Pippa. I think Present-day Felicity would be good, but her past is my biggest fear, no joke. Gemma has it horribly and has to make terrible decisions. Ann's life has been miserable without her family and with no friends until Gemma.

You're right, all the characters' lives do suck!

Can I pick Simon? What about Lucy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight   AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AGATB in Other Countries <> GDT vs. Twilight
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next