The Order
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Order

This is The Order. A fansite for the book A Great And Terrible Beauty.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)

Go down 
+13
flying free fee
great&terriblebeauty
lunarox142
melanie
Tegan
Lady Hope
Vee
hayweh
Rhawneh
Natalie
kitty
emiie109
librarybooks
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
librarybooks

The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Empty
PostSubject: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2007 10:37 am

Has anyone else read the book yet? I am dying to discuss it with someone.
Back to top Go down
emiie109

PostSubject: I have!   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 11:41 am

I was up until 4:30 this morning but I finally finished it. It was not the best week to get such a long and desperately anticipated book. What did you think? I loved all of it except Kartik dying, of course. It just seemed completely unnecessary. They could have gone to New York together! I mean, maybe it wouldn't have worked so well in Victorian times, but throw us a bone! I, for one, wouldn't have cared if it seemed a little unrealistic. I would have been happy.

Other than that, it was perfect. What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 8:17 am

Shocked I can't believe that he's gone!
The sweet far thing was good, not the best out of the series, but good.
I'm glad that Ms Bray stuck to her guns and finished off the series with a not-so-perfect happily ever after, even if Kartik had to go in that insipid tree. I do not recommend starting a humongo novel at 11pm, ever.Now back to bed to sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
Natalie

Natalie

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 12:50 pm

I was actually pretty disappointed in this book. There was just alot of stuff that wasnt really necessary. I think there was just too much stuff on pippa and not enough with Kartik. And I'll never understand Simon's point in the book either. He didnt really have a purpose.

Kartik got sucked into a tree???? ummmm ok thats really sad and depressing. If he was not able to be with Gemma could he just die normally, wont he get corrupted by being in the tree?

This book just left me hanging and disappointed. It beat around the bush. I love Libba, she's a great writer but i was just not feeling it in this book.
Back to top Go down
Rhawneh

Rhawneh

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 12:46 pm

I enjoyed the book a lot. I knew (ok hit me now) that Kartik had to die, in order for the book to end. If you read Libba's LJ you can see why she had him die.
Back to top Go down
http://www.snowpeep.blogspot.com
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Someone always has to die people. Piggy in Lord of the Flies for example, did he really have to die? Yes, his death was used to make the final point of how far the hunters have gone from society (not that I'm comparing him or LOTF to Kartik or anything. . . )
affraid I learned something from English. YES! Laughing

Here's the link to Ms. Bray's LJ http://libba-bray.livejournal.com
Check out her answers!
Back to top Go down
hayweh

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 am

Does anyone else think that Gemma could still see Kartik, even though he's a part of the tree? She still say Circe after she was absorbed into the tree.
Back to top Go down
Vee
In India
Vee

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

That is a very good question... I really have no idea. I keep telling myself not to think about Kartik... OH THE SADNESS! *TEAR*
Back to top Go down
Lady Hope
In the Gardens
Lady Hope

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Well I finally finished it yesterday! Took me a week, but I like to take my time to read books, so I can understand them better.

Anyway, I was really impressed. This book wasn't all about "being rescued by prince charming" (in this case, Kartik). I think it was a bit nessacary (BUT AWFUL) to kill Kartik. I mean, his death was kind of the right way to end the series.

It was defenitely emotional. My eyes teared up alot because it was just so sad to read the parts when Gemma was going mad and when she felt all alone. It was so great though because Libba really detailed every feeling and unfortunetly, I could see the gory and horror in my mind! This does prove that Libba's a great author.

Some people wonder if they'll be another book. Honnestly, I love this trilogy but a fourth would be like too much of a good thing. I think everything that could of happened - happened.
I love you
Back to top Go down
http://www.almost-famous01.piczo.com
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:05 pm

I sincerly hope that Libba does not write another book for the Gemma Doyle trilogy, it would ruin the feel of TSFT by making it seem like Kartik would come back and everyone would live happily togeather with the purple unicorns.
Back to top Go down
Vee
In India
Vee

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 11:49 am

LOL! Purple unicorns...Very nice. I agree with you, Kitty. I hope she leaves it be. It's a wonderful series, but it's over. Sad
Back to top Go down
Tegan
In the tent with Kartik
Tegan

Location : HUG A TREE! Kartik! *wishing it was my name in the wind!

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:43 pm

I hope she leaves it too.

OKAY I AM DONE i was do this morring at 12:01am yeah i know LMAO It took me from Dec 26-Feb 11 because I found he died the second i got the book! yeah I know! OH MY GOD!!!! I check the last page! and i found a spolire too!

I like it!

I hatted how she broke it in to acts it made sence but still! omg! why did he die!!!

I want her to write the books in Kartik POV! like she did the first chap of RA

I like RA the most just because i found TSFT had a lot of stuff that it did not need, like simons dad, and what not!

WHY DID they not just spill Follsen blood and live happly! okay!! why is he dead

Hug a tree!
Back to top Go down
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm glad you finished Rai! cheers
Back to top Go down
Tegan
In the tent with Kartik
Tegan

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 9:14 pm

thanks love it almost killed me the ending!
Back to top Go down
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Did anyone else think that Libba would kill off a main characture?
Back to top Go down
Tegan
In the tent with Kartik
Tegan

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:40 pm

yeah i really did i thought it was going to be Gemma but i knew b4 i got the book that he die so. yeah!
Back to top Go down
Lady Hope
In the Gardens
Lady Hope

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Every series is gonna have at least one death. So yes, i was expecting someone to die. And like Rain, I read something about it too on Libba's Livejournal.
Back to top Go down
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:06 pm

I always expect an author to whack a main characture in the final book. I wasn't really expecting Kartik though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Tegan
In the tent with Kartik
Tegan

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:44 pm

i think its cuz that everyone loves him!
Back to top Go down
Lady Hope
In the Gardens
Lady Hope

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 2:49 pm

I was expecting Pippa to die, and well, she did - in a way.
Back to top Go down
kitty
Holding Onto The Runes
kitty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 4:04 pm

I thought Ann was going to die.
Back to top Go down
melanie
Member of the Order
melanie

Location : At the temple, there is a poem called "Loss." It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You can not read Loss, only feel it.

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 12:20 pm

kitty wrote:
I thought Ann was going to die.

I'm glad she didn't. I was hoping she would finally break away and do with her life what she wants.

Of course, Kartik's death made me want to cry, and the whole Fee-Pippa thing was a shocker. I didn't see that coming at all. She was like, with how much time they spend together I should've known.. But I always thought that Pippa was just trying to drag Fee to the dark side or something. Idk, maybe that's just me.
Back to top Go down
lunarox142
Binding the Magic
lunarox142

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 9:23 pm

I really loved this book. It was my favorite out of all them. I just loved all the twists and turns it had. I was totally amazed.
Back to top Go down
great&terriblebeauty
Dancing under the stars
great&terriblebeauty

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 6:08 pm

me too.
Back to top Go down
https://theorder.forumotion.net
flying free fee
Macbeth
flying free fee

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 pm

same here. like the 7th Harry Potter book. and even with SMeyer's twilight series (which i just about utterly despise), I liked the last one best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)   The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Sweet Far Thing - Spoilers (finished reading the book)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next